Specialty: Total Joint Replacement, Arthroscopy
Dr. David Miller changed career paths after earning a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and spending four years working in the automotive industry. He pursued Orthopedic Surgery as a way to be able to apply engineering principles to the practice of medicine, such as using computer navigation in total joint replacement.
Dr. Miller received his Bachelor of Science in 1988 from the State University of New York at Buffalo. In addition, he received a Masters in Business Administration and a Certificate in Healthcare Management before going on to graduate from SUNY at Buffalo Medical School in 1996. Dr. Miller also completed his orthopedic residency with SUNY at Buffalo.
Dr. Miller has been practicing Orthopedic Surgery for over ten years, and performs approximately 130 total hip replacements, 150 total knee replacements, and 30 partial knee replacements per year. In addition, he performs multiple arthroscopic surgeries including those used to address knee and shoulder problems, and treats fractures involving the upper and lower extremities.
Dr. Miller takes pride in staying current with new technology to offer his patients the latest techniques and implants available in his field. For example, he uses a new technology known as Patient Specific Instrumentation for total knee replacement. Here, a digital model of the knee is created from an M.R.I. so as to produce a custom jig to be used during surgery. This optimizes form, fit, and function of total knee replacement surgery.
Dr. Miller is a conservative surgeon and offers surgery as an option when non-surgical treatments have failed. He prides himself on providing very personal patient care and enjoys the interactions he has with his patients, recognizing that no two patients are alike. He sees, with few exceptions, all of his patients personally in the office. Dr. Miller’s assistant, Lyn Ostolski RPA-C, has worked with him for eight years and assists both in the office and the operating room. In the hospital, Dr. Miller sees his patients personally every day with very few exceptions. While he recognizes the importance of medical education, Dr. Miller does not work with medical students or surgical residents.
- SUNY at Buffalo (1988) – Buffalo, NY – B.S. Mechanical Engineering
- SUNY at Buffalo (1992) – Buffalo, NY – Certificate Health Care Administration – M.B.A.
- SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine (1996) – Buffalo, NY – M.D.
- General Surgery Internship (1997) – SUNY at Buffalo – Buffalo, NY.
- Orthopedic Surgery (2001) – SUNY at Buffalo – Buffalo, NY.
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- New York State.
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery Fellow (Certified 2003).
- 8750 Transit Road, East Amherst, NY
- 36 North Union Road, Williamsville, NY
- 6133 East Washington Street, Route 219, Ellicottville, NY
Hospital/ Surgery Center Privileges:
- Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital
- Millard Ambulatory Surgery Center